Information and resources on sleep
Sleep is an essential part of our everyday functioning and wellbeing. We know that sleep can impact on managing our emotions, mood, anxiety levels and relationships.
Sleep can be difficult for many children and adolescents but that there are small everyday changes that can be made to improve it.
Here are some resources for young people and their families on understanding and supporting young people who may struggle with their sleep:
- Watch our pre recorded parent carer workshop focusing on supporting children and adolescents with sleep
- Read a blog on parent and carer advice around sleep: blog on sleep[pdf] 101KB which includes helpful questions and answers
- Download our NSFT guide to better sleep for younger children: guide to better sleep[pdf] 684KB
- Download our NSFT guide to better sleep for older children, teeangers and young adults: top tips for better sleep [pdf] 561KB
- Visit the YoungMinds website which is a mental health charity for children and young people in the UK. Visit: https://www.youngminds.org.uk/young-person/my-feelings/sleep-problems/ for information on sleep for young people and families
- Call the YoungMinds parent helpline on 0808 802 5544 (9am - 4.30pm Monday to Friday)
- Download the Calm App – guided exercises for mindfulness, meditation, relaxation and sleep. Calm Kids includes guided meditations, sleep stories and lullabies. Some content is accessible for free.
- Access the Minded interactive online session to explore common problems with sleep for young people and to access guidance on ways to support