Information and Resources on Self-harm
Many young people use self-harm as a way of coping. Here are some resources for young people and their families on understanding and supporting young people who engage in self-harm:
- Watch our pre-recorded parent carer workshop focussing on understanding supporting young people who self-harm: Understanding young people's self-harm - YouTube
- Download a Parent guide to coping with self-harm https://www.psych.ox.ac.uk/files/news/copy_of_coping-with-self-harm-brochure_final_copyright.pdf
- Download the Calm Harm App: An award-winning free app developed to help teenagers manage the urge to self-harm.
- Create a Hope Box: https://www.papyrus-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Hope-box.pdf
- Sign up to Self-Harm UK Alumina – Free online group self-help support group for 11-19 year olds. This is an online seven-week course for young people struggling with self-harm in the UK.
- Visit the YoungMinds website which is a mental health charity for children and young people in the UK. Visit: Self-harm | Advice for young people | Get help | YoungMinds for information on self-harm for young people and families.
- Call the YoungMinds parent helpline on 0808 802 5544 (9am - 4.30pm Monday to Friday) or use a webchat service: https://www.youngminds.org.uk/parent/parents-helpline-and-webchat/