Search Services

Search using key words or filter our services by age group, location or category

Reset search

Services A–Z

Eating Disorders Service Norfolk and Waveney

  • The Eating Disorders Service provides support and access to therapies for people who have an eating disorder within Norfolk and Waveney.

  • Service Manager Lead: Danielle Cooper
  • Service Contact: Central and West Norfolk (includes King’s Lynn and Norwich): telephone 01603 978455; East Norfolk, Great Yarmouth and Waveney: telephone 01493 337666
  • Address:
    Thurlow House,  Goodwins Road, King’s Lynn, PE30 5PD Resource Centre,  Northgate Hospital,  Northgate Street, Great Yarmouth, NR30 1BU The Lighthouse Centre,  Drayton High Road,  Norwich NR6 5BE, Norwich, NR6 5BE
  • Service hours: This service is available from Monday to Friday between 9:00 and 17:00.

What this service offers

CEDS treats anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder and other eating disorders dependent upon assessment. 

Our teams care for young people under the age of 18 years.

People who are referred and accepted into the Community Eating Disorders Service will receive an initial assessment to see what type of help they need. This will be within seven days of referral if deemed urgent or within 28 days if information provided by referrer suggests a routine timescale. 

Eating Disporder pathway image If it has been determined through the assessment that the individual has an eating disorder or difficulties around maintaining a healthy weight, our team will offer a variety of different interventions depending on individual needs. This might include Family Therapy and/or individual therapy with one of our therapists, such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) or Motivational Enhancement Therapy (MET).  

Our team will monitor service users’ weight to see how they are doing as well as helping to support the family at meal times, if they are particularly difficult, along with a variety of other interventions. These may include individual interventions and also the opportunity to participate in a group programme with other families. 

Access this service

Access to the Community Eating Disorder Service is made possible by GP referral only. If you or someone you know is worried about your nutritional intake, weight or believe you have an eating disorder, you must first see your GP who can then refer on to our service. 

For a GP to make a referral their patient must have moderate to severe eating disorder including anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and atypical eating disorder including binge eating disorder.

Visiting and onsite facilities

CEDS clinics for young people wishing to access the eating disorders service are held at: 

  • Gatehouse Clinic, Julian Hospital, Bowthorpe Road, Norwich. Free parking is available at this site and clinics are held on the ground floor. 
  • Thurlow House, Goodwins Road, King's Lynn, PE30 5PD. Free parking is available at this site and clinics are held on the ground floor.                  
  • Northgate Hospital,  Northgate Street, Great Yarmouth, NR30 1BU. Free parking is available at this site and clinics are held on the ground floor

How this service support carers including friends and family

We work with carers and regard them as a vital part of the young person’s treatment and recovery.

We offer a parent/carer group early on to help increase understanding of the condition and helpful ways to support their loved one.

We invite parents and carers to most appointments and family work and therapy is at the heart of the treatment which we offer.

Urgent help

If you need an urgent assessment your GP will send us a referral and if we deem this to be urgent, we will start the assessment process within one week. 

If you are a service user and are in crisis and need support urgently you can contact your service on the number which will have been provided.  

Call 111 and select the mental health option to speak to our 24 hour mental health crisis line.

If you are with someone who has attempted suicide, call 999 and stay with them until the ambulance arrives. 

If anyone is at serious risk of harm, call 999 and ask for the police. 

For non-life threatening medical situations, call NHS111 on 111.  

For more information, see Help in a Crisis

Page Feedback

Page Feedback