Search Services

Search by name or description e.g "Children's services"

Reset search

Services A–Z

Community Eating Disorders Service (CEDS) Norfolk

  • The Community Eating Disorders Service (CEDS) provides support and access to therapies for people who have an eating disorder or difficulty maintaining a healthy weight. 

  • Service Manager Lead: Nicki Watts
  • Service Contact: Central and West Norfolk (includes King’s Lynn and Norwich): telephone 0300 790 0371; East Norfolk, Great Yarmouth and Waveney: telephone 0300 123 1882
  • Address:
    Thurlow House,  Goodwins Road, King’s Lynn, PE30 5PD 80 St Stephens Road, Norwich, NR1 3RE Resource Centre,  Northgate Hospital,  Northgate Street, Great Yarmouth, NR30 1BU
  • Service hours: This service is available from Monday to Friday between 9:00 and 17:00.

What this service offers

CEDS treats anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder and other eating disorders dependent upon assessment. 

Central and West Norfolk teams offer a service for young people under 18 years. Our Great Yarmouth and Waveney team offers an ‘all age’ service. 

People who are referred and accepted into the Community Eating Disorders Service will receive an initial assessment to see what type of help they need This will be within seven days of referral if deemed urgent or within 28 days if information provided by referrer suggests a routine timescale. 

When somebody is referred onto the Community Eating Disorders Service their information will be given consideration as to whether the Eating Disorder Teams are best placed to meet their needs. Following this they will be offered an initial assessment to further understand their needs and what help could be on offer within this service or a different team.  

If it has been determined through the assessment that the individual has an eating disorder or difficulties around maintaining a healthy weight, our team will offer a variety of different interventions depending on individual needs. This might include Family Therapy and/or individual therapy with one of our therapists, such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) or Motivational Enhancement Therapy (MET).  

Our team will monitor service users’ weight to see how they are doing as well as helping to support the family at meal times, if they are particularly difficult, along with a variety of other interventions. These may include individual interventions and also the opportunity to participate in a group programme with other families. 

Access this service

Access to the Community Eating Disorder Service is made possible by GP referral only. If you or someone you know is worried about your nutritional intake, weight or believe you have an eating disorder, you must first see your GP who can then refer on to our service. 

For a GP to make a referral their patient must have moderate to severe eating disorder including anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and atypical eating disorder including binge eating disorder.

Visiting and onsite facilities

CEDS clinics for young people wishing to access the eating disorders service are held at: 

  • Silverwood Child and Family Centre, Great Yarmouth, NR30 1BU. Free parking is available at this site and clinics are held on the ground floor. 

  • Gatehouse Clinic, Julian Hospital, Bowthorpe Road, Norwich. Free parking is available at this site and clinics are held on the ground floor. 

  • Thurlow House, Goodwins Road, King's Lynn, PE30 5PD. Free parking is available at this site and clinics are held on the ground floor. 

How this service support carers including friends and family

Our Community Eating Disorders Service offers family therapy to parents and carers as well as an evening parent and carer support group.  

Our team also provides information to families and friends about other agencies or teams that we feel they will benefit from. 

Urgent help

If you need an urgent assessment your GP will send us a referral and if we deem this to be urgent, we will start the assessment process within one week. 

If you are a service user and are in crisis and need support urgently you can contact your service on the number which will have been provided.  

Call 0808 196 3494 to speak to our 24 hour mental health crisis line called First Response.

If you are with someone who has attempted suicide, call 999 and stay with them until the ambulance arrives. 

If anyone is at serious risk of harm, call 999 and ask for the police. 

For non-life threatening medical situations, call NHS111 on 111.  

For more information, see Help in a Crisis

Page Feedback

Page Feedback