Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. For more information, read our Terms and Conditions.
Help in a crisis
Service Page
Perinatal Community Mental Health Services

 What help do you offer?

If a woman experiences a complex or severe mental health problem during her pregnancy or post-birth, she can be eligible for specialist services from community perinatal mental health teams, which offer psychiatric and psychological assessments and care. 

Our multi-disciplinary team includes specialist perinatal mental health nurses, registered nurses, social workers, occupational therapists, nursery nurses, peer support workers and other key staff who provide continuity of care to women and their babies.  

We also provide pre-conception advice for women with a complex or severe mental health problem (current or past) who are planning a pregnancy.  

We offer assessments, therapeutic supports and group activities and involve partners as well as families in our intervention strategies.  

The service forms part of a wider system of care working with women and families and service partners are crucial, both in the care and interventions they offer as part of supporting good mental health. We work closely with community midwives, health visitors, specialist midwives, family partnership nurses, social services and other important social and health care agencies who can help identify potential issues requiring specialist support and refer people to the appropriate services.

 How do I get help from your service?

Referrals are available via GPs, community midwives, social workers, health visitors, other mental health services or other agencies. If a woman has received services in the past, she can self-refer at the next pregnancy.

 What hours is your service available?

Mondays to Fridays, 9am-5pm.

 What can I expect from you?

Initially, when we receive a referral, we will undertake a triage of your situation. This may involve a telephone call to gain more information about your mental health situation and needs. We may consult with the referrer if we require additional data to help us decide on whether you meet our criteria. If you do not meet the criteria, we can refer to an appropriate service, including the Wellbeing service. We have a joint arrangement with Wellbeing, offering priority attention to pregnant or post-natal women.  

If we feel that you need a specialist perinatal mental health assessment, we will book this and send a letter to confirm the date and time. This may be done alongside a perinatal consultant psychiatrist. You may be signposted to other services but if your mental health situation deteriorates, a referral can be resent or you may contact our office and ask that your situation be reviewed.

 What is the main address of your service?

Perinatal Community Mental Health Team


Kingfisher Ward

Hellesdon Hospital


 How can I contact you?

Call 01603 786781.

 What conditions do you treat?

  • Ante-natal depression, anxiety, OCD and other symptoms which may not have been present prior to the pregnancy.
  • Women with longstanding and enduring conditions including Bipolar Disorder, Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder (EUPD), Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), Schizophrenia, Psychosis, Eating Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and other conditions.
  • Women who experience post-natal depression, psychosis, OCD, severe anxieties, PTSD and other conditions, who may not have had any mental health concerns prior to giving birth.

 What support do you offer carers including friends and family?

We are in the process of developing some support for partners. We signpost partners to their GPs if they require formal mental health supports and refer partners or family members to Carer’s Support Services if they wish to be assessed as a carer.

We support partners and families by including them in the Care Plan processes, all appointments and other activities.

 Service manager name?

Brenda Côté.

Onsite facilities

Free parking, including disabled spaces, is available on site.

Our office is disability friendly, this includes the toilet facilities.

A water cooler is available and we have a cafe on our Hellesdon site.

Useful documents

 I need help urgently! Who do I call?

  • Contact your GP
  • Call 111 for urgent medical advice
  • Out of hours – Call your GP or 111
  • For urgent medical attention, you can call 999 or attend the nearest Accident & Emergency (A&E) department
  • Or you can call the Samaritans anytime on 116 123 if you need someone to talk to.